THE PRIZE IS NOW CLOSED FOR ENTRIES.
Please read the rules carefully before entering.
The submission period for this prize will be 1st September to 30th November 2013. The winner will be announced on the 28th April 2014.
1. The prize is open to African poets, defined as those who were born in Africa, or who are nationals of an African country, or whose parents are African.
2. The prize is open to African poets who have not yet had a full-length poetry book published. Self-published poetry books, chapbooks and pamphlets are exempt from this stipulation.
3. Only poems written in English are accepted. Poems translated into English are also accepted with a percentage of the prize going to the translator.
4. The prize opens for submissions on 1st September 2012 and the closing date is midnight (UK time), 30th November 2012.
5. Each entrant must submit 10 poems to be eligible, no more and no less. There is no stipulation as to the content of submitted poems.
6. The poems may have been previously published or won previous awards.
7. All entries must be submitted via email only to Bernardine.Evaristo@brunel.ac.uk
An acknowledgment will be sent.
8. The submitting poet must submit a covering email with the following information only:
name, nationality, country of birth, full address including country of permanent residence, personal email address, telephone number.
9. Under no circumstances can alterations be made to poems once entered.
10. Under no circumstances will the organisers or judges enter into discussions with entrants who have submitted for the prize.
11. The prize organisers reserve the right to not award the prize if, in the judges’ opinion, such an action is justified. The organisers also reserve the right to split the prize if they decide that more than one poet is worthy of it.
12. The judges’ decision is final and they will not enter into any correspondence with entrants regarding their decisions.
13. All poems must have a title and no single poem must exceed 30 lines in length (excluding title).
14. Poems must be the original work of the entrant.
15. Poems should be single spaced.
16. There is no stipulation regarding font type and size.
17. Poems must be emailed as a SINGLE file document attachment with an index cover page with the entrants name on it. This single document should have page numbers.
18. Individual poems received as separate file attachments and poems sent within the body of an email will be automatically rejected with no notification to the poet.
19. The prizewinner will be notified at the end of April 2013.
20. The winner will be required to provide a biography and photograph.
21. The copyright of each poem remains with the author.
For further information, please contact Bernardine Evaristo here.